Saturday, August 10, 2013

Family Walks

 
Posted by Picasa 

Last Friday night as we were going to bed, David (Daddy) told me that he wanted to wake up early the next morning and do something with the family.

I suggested that we go for a walk. A long walk. From our house to the intersection and back is approximately 4 miles. (I didn't Google that distance until just now. Oh my land! That's long!)

So we headed out around 7:30 am. The kids were amped because usually when we go for our daily walks, Daddy is at work. It was nice, and slightly overcast when we started out. We jogged, talked, briefly greeted all the walkers, joggers and bicyclists. Everyone had their own individual water bottle, so we stopped many times for water breaks(even Autumn:)). David taught the kids how to read street signs. We played eye spy in Spanish and rehearsed the kids' weekly scriptures. 

About midway back, the kids started getting tired, so we played Dum Dum by Lecrae and Gold by Britt Nicole on my phone. Music always makes the walks more fun. Daddy also gave Moriah a piggy back ride and then put David on his shoulders. By that time we were able to see the house and the kids got excited and ran home. We reached home around 9:00 am.

It was good exercise and it made me think of the walk that we have with our Lord. How often do we start off with zeal when we first dedicate our lives to Him. Then we get tired for many different and combined reasons. With His mercy, He rejuvenates and strengthens us. He uses His word through songs, the support of our brothers and sisters in Christ and when it gets too tough, He carries us. My hearts desire and prayer is that when we see glimpses of our eternal home, that we will not try to hold on to this world. But instead, get energy, motivation and focus from seeing it in view.

Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 3:13-14

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. ~Hebrews 12:1-2

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.~Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment