Saturday, August 31, 2013

SAHM vs. Working Mom



I've had the wonderful privilege of staying at home with all of my children for about the first year of their lives. I worked part time for a while and then full time for about a year and a half until I got pregnant again. For the most part, I got to enjoy just focusing on each pregnancy and was able to witness them achieving their first milestones.

Well based on a few factors, my husband and I decided that it's time for me to re-enter into the workforce. I'm excited about the growth, the change and the chance for me to actually receive compensation for my degree. But of course I'm going to miss my days revolving around them.

I'm old fashioned when it comes to the household. My duties as a wife/mother drive me. There is such a fulfillment when David comes home from work and the house is clean, the laundry is done, the meal is prepared the kids are prayed, learned and exercised up. Then he sighs and says, "I love it when you're home." That's like music to my ears. Believe me, I'm not close to a "Martha Stewart." But the idea of  working outside the home threatens my idea of the possibility of maintaining that standard.

But of course staying at home isn't always peachy. I occasionally bump into those conversations with those who have that undertone response of  "Ohhh, so all you do is stay at home? That's not very ambitious." There's also the reality that a second income would decrease a great deal financial stress.

For my situation, I believe that being a stay at home mom vs. a working mom is equivalent to breastfeeding vs. formula. Formula still gets the job done but it will never have the richness of breast milk. Granted every situation is different. I have friends who are great moms who feel like they are better moms because they have the separation while they're at work. But personally, we have definitely seen outstanding fruit from one parent staying at home.  At the same time, there will be new qualities that I will gain by working outside the home that my kids will learn and admire. So to help me sort through the pros and cons just so I can turn my bittersweet decision into a less bitter one, I've compiled a list:

Pros of staying at home:
  • Having my house in order will be a constant focus.
  • Don't have to worry about calling in, if kids get sick.
  • Get to put in additional time for extra educational projects (for the kids of course)
  • Clear expectations of husband/wife duties
  • I'm my kids main caregiver (don't have to worry about them in someone else's care)
Pros of working
  • Second income...duh!!
  • Time away to miss the kids
  • Get to acquire new skills because of the change that I can apply to the household
  • May provide more structure and organization since we will have a tighter schedule
  • The kids get to see me in another role...as a professional:)
So yeah...though my  home is where my heart is, it's also exciting at venturing out and not only nurturing my kids but my career also. I'm also afraid that I won't be able to to do it all. So working mommies how do you balance?  Sahms do you plan on transitioning back into work?

No comments:

Post a Comment