Friday, September 20, 2013

The Legacy of the Guitar in Our Family





A couple years ago, David decided that he wanted to take guitar lessons from a church brother of ours who is in his eighties. The kids and I went over there with him a few times and it was nice to listen to his wife reminisce while her husband was teaching David correct finger placement, chord progression and capo placement. I watched as he would study the notes and even remembered exactly when he said that he wanted to master the guitar by the end of the year. For Christmas, the couple gave him a card with $100 to go towards a guitar, and Jan 2010 David bought his first one.

Since then, he has never put it down. When he comes home from work he plays it. When I'm playing music in the house as I do the chores, he plays along. One of my favorite memories so far of him and his guitar is when I was pregnant with Autumn and I had the hardest time falling asleep because I was so uncomfortable, he would pick up his guitar and sing to me until I fell asleep. And my absolute favorite memory is while I was giving birth, I asked him to bring it to the hospital. He played it softly and it was my effective therapy. The nurses were impressed at how I was able to sleep through my contractions without any medication (but of course that all changed once I hit 8cm and was pressuring everyone to give me an epidural:)).

We gave Moriah her guitar when she was 2 and little David's was given to him when he was 2 as well. They play theirs nearly as much Daddy. I'm looking forward to getting Autumn her's though she seems quite content with her Daddy's. As he plays, she gets excited and jumps up and down on her knees.


 I'm so proud of David that he decided to learn it, stuck with it and he's determined to grow with it. We are so blessed with the legacy that brother Joseph passed to David and now to our children!

Check out this great song about a very lovely lady:) sung and produced by David. You hear some of the strings but for more check out his reverbNation page!


No comments:

Post a Comment