Thursday, September 12, 2013

The meaning of Autumn





While preparing for the birth of each of our children, choosing a name was very important. We wanted something that we both loved,  had a strong meaning, preferably biblical,  preferably not super common and just clicked. 

Well I believe the beginning of deciding on choosing a name for our third child began back in 2005 while David and I were engaged. I was praying while I was making my bed, and I believe I heard God say, "Through your children you're going to reap your harvest." I stopped to write it down in my journal and I never forgot it. 

While I was pregnant with my third child, David and I struggled with choosing a name. We couldn't find one that we both loved and just felt like it was...well...her.  Every time he had mentioned a name, I shook my head and knew that wasn't it and when I mentioned a name, he would do the same. We had gone through many names on websites, and many people all around were giving suggestions. We asked Moriah who was 3 at the time, what the baby's name should be and she said "Tuna." :) Even my co-worker suggested that we have a baby pool. If I were to chose a name that an employee guessed, then the employee would win a prize:)

One night after we had come back from a date, I was determined to decide on a name. We researched, talked and couldn't decide! Later on,  in the middle of the night, I prayed and asked God for a name with a meaning of my choice. But ultimately, I desired a name that represented the characteristics and personality that she was going to have. Knowing that only God could've known who she was going to become. While I was praying I heard very clearly, "The name will come to you." I responded, "Lord I don't know if that was you, but if it was, I'm going to demonstrate to you that I trust you by going to sleep and waiting for the name."

The next morning, I told David what I thought I heard from the Lord.  He said, "You know, I think that did come from Him because I feel like her name is on the tip of my tongue." So we decided to wait and not to "look" for a name. 

Weeks passed, still many people were asking what the name was going to be. Though I felt like a broken record when responding, I had a peace about the wait. There was a room that I had to set up at my job and that was where I prepped my mind for the day by praying and thanking God. I said "Lord what should her name be?" I heard "Autumn." It was like a light bulb turned on. I googled the official start of Autumn and saw that it was just a few days after her due date. The more I thought about it, the more I fell in love, but then I stopped myself and I said, "Lord, if this is the name, please show me by David loving it also."

As I was clocking out, I was burning with excitement to suggest the name to him. My childhood friend who was also pregnant, texted me to tell me she was having a boy and asked me if I had a name picked out for my girl. As I was getting in the car, I texted her back to congratulate her. I was in the middle of responding to her that, "We hadn't chosen a name yet but I felt  like we were close," when David asked, "What about Autumn?" I said "What did you just say?!! "I was shocked. I dropped my phone. I was screaming. It came to be that the name had come to us at the same time during that day. God is good. We knew without a doubt that was her name. We both loved it and loved even more how it was given to us.

I was on a high, smiling from ear to ear for weeks! Now when people asked me what her name was, not only did I finally have one but I had a testimony that I was so eager to tell.  Then it wasn't until some time after this did I remember the promise God spoke to my heart. Through our children, we were going to reap our harvest.

Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because he is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains, as before. ~Joel 2

No comments:

Post a Comment