Tuesday, July 30, 2013

David did it too!! 100 books! Summer project is complete!


So after our morning of chores and light play we gathered 4 books and caught David up. Today was actually one of my favorite reading time days. The kids did a really good job being attentive and answering questions. We have a little rule that whoever is reading the book gets to sit in the middle. So David grabbed his four books: I love my Papi, David and Goliah, Big Bug Dug and Rudolph and sat in between Moriah and I.

I noticed so much growth from the first week we started. Now he's beginning to read with speed and I was surprised at some words that he knew that I don't recall teaching him. One of my favorite memories of him during this project is when he read by himself . The first two times we read the book, (a few books we read more than once if they really liked it.) he repeated each word after me and by the third time we read it, he had it on his own. He was so excited!

His favorite thing to do while reading was pointing out compound words. I had taught them about compound words earlier during the project and he got really into it. If the word was football, he'd say "Look Mommy!" He would take his finger and cover up ball and say "foot!" and then cover up foot and say "ball!" But then he would try to the same thing with playing...so yeah we have to work on word endings a little bit more:)

Moriah helped him to record his books on the chart. Once he was done we all jumped up and down and
I squeezed him and gave high fives. Then as soon as Daddy came home from work, that was the first he told him. They hugged and little David was so excited.

His favorite book
When I asked him what his favorite book was he said Rudolph. He said  that's his favorite because it had little words:)  My all time favorite book was No David! by David Shannon. All throughout the book David is doing things that get him in trouble. The pictures are hilarious because these are things my David has done. At the end, his mother hugs him and says "Come here Davey. I love you" Which pretty much sums up our days here at the house.:)

I'm so proud of him. Being a boy and with all that super energy that God has created him with, I know sometimes he would rather be jumping on the bed or playing cars but he was diligent and patient. I think he's off to a good start for preschool!

His reward
He would like to go to the zoo and to the beach. Since Daddy is the super fun one and Mommy is just little bit of fun one, (my kids' exact words:)) Daddy is going to plan their reward day. Will keep you posted!




No comments:

Post a Comment