Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The best thing next to having twins



It's so interesting how many people remind me of how many children I said that I wanted when David and I first got engaged. It's even more interesting that for some reason I barely remember quoting that amount. ("Really?!  5 or 6?!  Did I say that?!!" I blame it on pregnancy brain. Even while I'm not pregnant:) )

I guess that's why some weren't that surprised when we announced that we were pregnant with another while Moriah was only 6 months. We were surprised... but pleasantly. I remember when were at church one day when Moriah was 3 months old. The pastor mentioned a passage (1 Chronicles 4:10) that stated "enlarging our territory" and David was elbowing me, jokingly saying, "Yeah. Enlarge our territory."

Well a few months passed and there I was at home with two in diapers. I vividly remember some mornings when they were crying at the same time. It was challenging sometimes. We were managing two that were so dependent and yet didn't know how to verbally express their needs, but if I had a chance,  I wouldn't change it for anything!

Now that they are a little bit older, 5 and 3 (David will be 4 in about 6 weeks), they are great at keeping themselves occupied together. They play cars, dolls, ride bikes, pretend cook, paint/color. They make up several different games and they are pretty good at taking turns. When they can't decide who gets to choose what to play, they play rock, paper, scissors or they flip a coin. (Prov 18:18

Now there are times when they argue. It gets out of hand and there is no telling who started it. Thanks to Daddy who came up with a genius and an often used discipline strategy. We have both Moriah and David hug each other and say "I love you" for about 2-3 min straight. Note: This method is used when the matter is trivial. We do have different forms of discipline depending on the matter:) It works great and after this, they usually play better than when they started.

I was looking forward to putting Moriah in all these different camps this summer since she is now old enough to participate. She did dance camp and VBS, but David is not enough and missed her like crazy when she was gone. So we decided to have her miss a couple of other programs for the remainder of the summer and just find and create activities for the both of them to do together. She wasn't bummed out at all.  I'm thankful for their relationship and pray that it will grow even stronger!

Nugget: Jesus says that the kingdom of God belongs to children such as these. I believe this means that we are to not be childish, but childlike. God desires for us to love each other like how children love. They love affectionately,  fearlessly and abundantly in forgiveness. Sometimes it seems as we get older, we leaves these virtues behind. Join me in prayer to love with a childlike heart:)


~Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters.  ~Hebrews 13:1

~ Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.~ Romans 12:10

~ Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen. ~1 John 4:20

No comments:

Post a Comment