Sunday, May 26, 2013

The voice of our children

It amazes me the sensitivity that we as parents have to our children's voice.  When our first child, Moriah was born, the hospital encouraged in room recovery. That was great for us because we wanted to keep her close as much as possible. Unfortunately by day two, between the elated and numerous visitors and just the excitement of the delivery, we were simply exhausted. Neither one of us were able to keep our eyes open to admire our new bundle of joy any longer.  For the first time we decided to pass her on to the wide eyed mother hen nurses who were estatic to adore any and every baby handed to them.

Time passed, we dozed then both instantly woke to the sound of a high pitch cry.  David undoubtably walked to the nursery to retrieve our baby girl. The nurses, impressed and surprised gladly handed her over asking David how he was able to distinguish between her cry and the half of dozen newborns within the nursery who were also exercising their new pair of lungs.  His response..."I just knew." They were so surprised that the next morning a couple of the nurses told me the story and emphasizing how he knew her cry, not knowing that I was awake while it happened. That was the first and last incident that we voluntarily handed her over to the nurses. Don't get me wrong, it's not like we thought they were going to harm or her or something.  We trusted them in their capacity of being genuine, caring and qualified nurses.  In matter of fact, we didn't leave until we wrote cards of good service for many of them.  We just felt most secure with her in our care.  That was a moment that I knew would be one of the first memories as a new parent that I would never forget.

Even now four years later, no matter how much of a deep sleep we think we are in, we wake at their cry and get up (most of the time:)) without hesitation to comfort them. During one of these nights as I woke up to little David calling "Mommy" I was fully convinced that once people become parents that God gives us a gift of sensitivity to our children's voices. I remember before having children literally sleeping through hurricanes with ease. While getting out of my bed and heading toward his, I suddenly found comfort in realizing that this is a great example of God hearing us. His ear is turned toward our cries, our praises, our concerns and our questions. And unlike us who are made of flesh, He doesn't mind what hour we cry out to Him through prayer. The beauty of it is, the more we realize that He is sensitive to our voice and we call on Him through prayer and reading His word, the more we are sensitive to His voice. (It's called relationship :)) Yep that's right! The very voice of God speaking to us and being sensitive to it. Like a mother or father rocking us and telling us that; It'll be okay. Draw close to me...

~My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27 
~Lord hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. Psalm 130:2
~Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.  Isaiah 40:28
~Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. James 4:8





No comments:

Post a Comment